The eating of romantic food isn’t limited to 14th February! These scallops are perfect for a lazy evening at home: the salsa is best prepared a little in advance to allow the flavours to blend, and the scallops need only the briefest of cooking. Food to drool over!
- 1 orange
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 green chilli
- 1 clove garlic
- Small bunch Thai basil or coriander
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 12 queen scallops with roe, or 8 king scallops
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- Thai basil or coriander leaves to garnish
- Pare a little zest from the orange, then cut away the flesh from both the citrus fruits. Use a sharp knife to cut in between the membranes and remove the segments to a bowl - squeeze any extra juice into the bowl too.
- Finely chop the onion, chilli and garlic and shred the basil or coriander. Mix with the citrus segments and add the fish sauce, then stand until required.
- Remove any membrane from the edges of the scallops. Heat a frying pan, add the oil then cook the scallops quickly for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the crust is golden and the flesh opaque. Spoon a little of the citrus juice from the salsa into the pan and cook until syrupy.
- Serve the scallops, garnished with a sprig of basil or coriander, on a bed of salsa.
To print or download this recipe, click here.