Phil is a wonderful chef. Always passionate about locally sourced food Phil’s book, Britain The Cookbook (pub Mitchell Beazley) is a gastro-tour of British food and producers. This recipe was served to us on a visit to Gorwydd Caerphilly - and Phil had come up with this idea, a variation on an American dip, after visiting the dairy himself.
- 55g (2oz) unsalted butter
- 3 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 225g (8oz) Caerphilly cheese
- 225g (8oz) good quality mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 180℃, gas mark 4, 350°F.
- Heat the butter in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for about 15 minutes to soften. Remove from the heat and stir in the Caerphilly, mayonnaise, sauces, sugar and finally a good seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Place in a ceramic baking dish, sprinkle liberally and evenly with the paprika, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly. This should be eaten warm, not hot. Serve with crackers, slices of crunchy bread or breadsticks.
To print or download this recipe, click here.