Serves 6 - 8
This is perfect winter fruit as far as I am concerned! The spicing of star anise and vanilla works really well and adds a sweetness which, with the natural sugars in the fruits, means that no extra sugar is required. This is delicious with cereals and porridge at breakfast time. Try it with my Cranberry cheesecake.
- 4 Navel oranges
- 1 x 540g can grapefruit segments in juice or syrup
- 250g pack soft Agen prunes
- 125g soft apricots
- 2 star anise
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g crystallised stem ginger
- Grate the zest from the oranges into a saucepan and add the dried fruits, star anise, vanilla, the juice from the canned grapefruit and 150ml water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer slowly 10 minutes.
- Finely chop the ginger. Cut the pith and skin from the oranges with a sharp serrated knife, then cut the fruit in half lengthways. Cut out the pithy core, then cut each half into 5 or 6 slices.
- Add the ginger and oranges to the pan with the canned grapefruit segments, stir carefully and then allow to cool before removing the star anise. Serve warm, with custard, cram or ice cream, or cold. This is really good with porridge too.
To print or download this recipe, click here.