"Leeking" a tip on how to make cheese on toast a more healthy snack. Scroll down for the recipe.
This is a healthy take on Cheese on toast. The quantities are for 2 but, in reality, just use what you have to hand that will make a meal for you.
- 1 leek
- A little oil or butter
- A pinch of fennel seeds and smoked paprika (optional)
- Cheese, about 75g for 2
- 2 slices bread
- Trim the leek, slit it and wash it thoroughly. Hold it under the tap with the green top downwards so that any soil washes out of the leek, not into it. Cut into half or quarters lengthways and then slice it finely. Grate the cheese. Preheat the grill.
- Heat a little oil or butter in a pan, add the leek and spices and cook over a medium heat until well softened in about 3-4 minutes.
- Toast the bread on one side only. Add the cheese to the leeks with salt and pepper and stir until starting to melt. Pile onto the uncooked side of the bread/toast and spread out.
- Cook under a medium grill until the cheese smelled and starting to brown - don’t cook too quickly or the leeks will burn. Enjoy it - it’s mainly veg!
To print or download the recipe click here.